Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Week One Reflection

I’d like to start by saying that I found myself agreeing and disagreeing with both articles at the same time. I think that I even confused myself there for a minute! Let’s start with Reigeluth and Joseph. One point that I really like here is “it would require a learning-focused educational system that offers customization rather than standardization.” In my recent staff meetings we have addressed this exact statement. In order for all students to be held to the same level of content standard mastery, education needs to move in the direction of personal curriculum. I have heard that this is fast approaching us as well. It will require more work from the teaching and support staff but will in turn greatly benefit our students. It may take some students more than four years of high school to reach these standards, but we will know that we are sending them out into the “real world” with what they need to know.
With a student body working at all different paces, it might seem impossible for a teacher to stand up and teach a class. The teacher may need to be the “guide on the side.” (Reigeluth and Joseph) As we keep making advances in technology, why not take advantage of them in our schools? If it’s available to have a class of students all learning different levels at the same time through avenues such as pod casts with a “guide on the side” to oversee their daily progress, why not? I work in Adult Education and I consider myself to be a “guide on the side.” I have a classroom with students ranging in age from 16 to 19 all working on different subjects at different levels. They work at their own pace to earn credits. Our more advanced students are taking online classes or are taking classes at the Career Tech Center. I hope that when the lower students are academically ready, they will be there too.
I’m not saying that there will eventually be no need for teachers in the classroom. However, if the schools can afford to keep up with modern technology, students will have endless opportunities in the classrooms. They will have more chances to take elective classes that will prepare them for a profession that they are interested in that their school might not have the funds, or interest of enough students, to offer.
Postman had some good points in his article as well. I struggle with his question “what is the problem to which the new technologies are the solution?” I don’t think that there is a problem in our school where new technologies are the solution, but does there have to be a problem with something that is old before you replace it with something new? I don’t think so…I bought a digital camera to replace my film camera. There was nothing wrong with the film camera, but there is so much more that I can do with my pictures using my digital camera. If our students can benefit from modern technology in the classroom, why would we even consider saying no? There are so many students in our schools now that could greatly benefit from one-on-one help. Wouldn’t it be great if we could provide that to them using this technology that is available to us? I’d like to end by saying that I don’t think that technology should in any way replace our current school systems, but rather enhance them to greatly benefit our students.

No comments:

Post a Comment